October 21 2014

More Discussion Week 2

What contributes to “successful” teaching in any venue?

According to Shanti Kerr in Tips, Tools and Techniques for Teaching in the Online High School Classroom, “The successful online course is a result of teachers and students maximally utilizing the tools afforded to them. ” I would argue that this point is equally as important in a traditional classroom and does in all instances lead to successful teaching.  In addition to utilizing resources, Kerr also summarized some “best practices” which I believe, apply in any teaching venue. Some key points include using a variety of resources, providing timely and thorough feedback, giving students a choice of medium to demonstrate proficiency, allowing students to  self-assess their learning, providing rubrics, modeling and providing examples, and creating an authentic learning environment.  I would consider all these tips beneficial to any and every learning environment, demonstrating the many similarities between F2F and online learning. This is simply good teaching!

KLC

Posted October 21, 2014 by Mrs. C in category Online Learning- Teacher as Student