October 31 2014

Week 4- Assessments

I am intrigued by the assessment option referred to as the Word Journal.

The word Journal was introduced to me in the article , Technology-Enhanced Classroom Assessment Techniques by Jacqueline Mangien from Faculty Focus. I have used  journaling as a means of student reflection and self-reflection in a number of my classes. This semester, I introduced blogging as an electronic form of reflection and to build student-student interactivity. I have found this form of assessment very effective and especially enlightening for me. Reflection is a great tool to decode and internalize a learning experience. This method of expression allows the student to self -assess and collaborate with peers , along with the instructors assessment of   higher order thinking skills. It also adds a measure of the ‘authentic audience’ which tends to motivate students to do a better job.

A Word Journal defined by  Faculty Focus:

In the Word Journal assessment, students summarize a lesson, concept, or text in a single word, then write a short narrative explaining their word choice. Encouraging students to write blog posts for their word journals provides a relevant and wider audience for their selections and allows classmates to comment on one another’s ideas. The professor might then collect the word journals and create a word cloud such as Wordle to visually display comment themes and elements from the responses.

Looking to engage my own new bloggers I tried a modified version of this lesson.  Please check out my lesson instruction and outcome, on my student blog; Blogging with Mrs. C.  Additional examples can be viewed on any student blog listed on the right, feel free to comment on your favorite. I’m sure my class will get a kick out of it!

KLC

Posted October 31, 2014 by Mrs. C in category Online Learning- Teacher as Student